Every year our farm hosts apprentices. Here is our most recent call out:
RAVINE CREEK FARM 2019 INTERNSHIP
7 month Internship on a certified organic, family run vegetable farm in the stunning and magical Slocan Valley. Come grow with us!
Located near Winalw, BC our farm is a very successful (and very busy!) little veggie paradise – the operation is 4 acres, 2.5 of hay and 1.5 of veggies, our intensive vegetable garden is the heart of our business and we sell our produce at the Nelson farmer’s market, a weekly farm stand and through a 20 member CSA. We have a passionate and devoted customer base and we are fortunate to have a small but thriving agricultural community around us to collaborate with. This is an incredible opportunity for someone interested in pursuing small scale agriculture and sustainable living.
What we need:
We have openings for 1 or 2 apprentices (if 2 people they should ideally be a couple or a couple of very good friends – this is due to the very small living space available)
Who possess the following skills:
• Physical fitness – farming is very physically demanding and requires the ability to ENJOY the following types of activities: lift and carry up to 40-50lbs (safely!), squat, kneel, bend down in all kinds of weather (heat, cold, wet, bugs etc), perform repetitive tasks such as hoeing and harvesting etc. All in the great outdoors all the time!
• Positive attitude – indispensable !
• Really good time management
Farming is a many hats type of calling, our days can take us from vigorous physical labour to customer service to design and financial planning all in a day’s work – apprenticing to farming means being willing to try on a lot of different hats!
At a minimum this means you should have: a positive attitude, excellent physical and mental stamina, diverse interests, and a versatile skill set.
Also you must be available from mid April to October 31st.
What we can teach:
We have been students of agriculture for over 2 decades and have run a commercial farm for 7 years, from this wealth of experience we are able to pass on basic to intermediate tutorials in the following areas:
• soil chemistry and biology
• seeding & transplanting
• organic weed control
• plant pathology
• farm business planning
• small farm tool use and care
• crop planning
• seed saving
• fertility management
• meeting organic certification requirements
• harvest and post-harvest of over 40 different crops
What we offer:
• A positive and respectful working environment, we love what we do and where we live – its a great place to be!!
• $800/month stipend
• One-room cabin with outdoor kitchen & solar shower/bath. Cabin does not have electricity, internet or phone.
• All-you-can-eat produce from our farm
• bicycle – your very own ten-speed for cruising into the village or to the swimming hole
• amazing rural community with lots of creative, progressive, friendly folk to meet
• incredible natural landscape with lots of opportunities for hiking, canoeing, biking and swimming, we are surrounded by snowcapped peaks and within a day’s drive of several hotsprings.
• hands on work experience in all aspects of farm operations and access to our extensive resource library
Find out more about our farm at http://www.ravinecreek.wordpress.com
Please send a resume with brief cover letter to ravine.creek@gmail application deadline is Feb. 28, 2019 however interviews will begin in December 2018.